A polished greenstone axe was dug up in a garden at Colebrook (SX 54371) in 1962, this Neolithic implement could be up to 5,000 years old, but does not in itself indicate local settlement.

Settlement of possible Iron Age-Roman date exists in the vicinity.  A lost earthwork site, Crana Castle was used as a landmark in the medieval period.  Referred to as Cranecastell is given a location in relation to the Turnpike road and was used as a reference point in the 18th and 19th centuries.  (SX 554557).

Boringdon Camp (SX554597), a circular banked and ditched enclosure, falls just outside the City Boundary.

Wodebury Castell is mentioned in 1481 as being in north Brixton.  This refers to an earthwork known as Waste Berry, two miles east of the City Boundary (SX 572539). 

Crosses in Plympton

There are a number of documentary references to crosses, the earliest being the cross of Earl Richard (who died in 1162) in the charter of 1282.  The shaft of an old cross found during renovations in the Guildhall in 1861 has been restored, and stands near the south entrance of Plympton St. Maurice church.  Another cross shaft, probably marking the ford across the Tory Brook, is now embedded in the river bank a little west of the bridge at the north end of Station Road. (539456).

Fire Beacon of Plympton

The Fire Beacon was a local landmark and situated at Hardwick Farm.  At a much later time during the Napoleonic War, the Admiralty set up one of its naval “Telegraphs” at Hardwick for the transmission of messages.  For that reason a cottage on the farm is still called Telegraph Cottage.  A very faded piece of parchment found between the pages of the Strode Rental and giving the bounds of Fernhill Manor proves that there was a fire beacon at Wotter.  There was also the Western Beacon at Ivybridge.

Ducking Stool in Plympton

Mentioned by George Parker to James Lamacraft (a Blacksmith who lived in Colebrook)-
“The lease of Scobles Tenement near Colebrook together with privileges of all that Lake or pool situated and being in the higher side of where the Cucking Stool now standeth and before the Smith‘s shop where the said James Lamacraft now dwelleth…(1732). 

Make a Free Website with Yola.